Paul Murphy Architects were appointed for the reconfiguration and complete refurbishment of a 1950’s school to create a new Early Years Wing, rationalise teaching spaces and improve the thermal performance of the building. Re-planning of the school enabled more efficient co-location of classrooms with flexible group rooms providing much needed break out spaces between teaching spaces.
The existing lightweight construction presented a series of technical obstacles to overcome and we solved these through innovative design and construction solutions.
The building was overclad with new insulated cladding, double glazing installed, and new building services throughout. Teaching spaces feature new lighting rafts incorporating fire detection systems and uplighters to maximise the spaciousness of the classrooms.
The budget was tight but the architects found ways to ensure we met the brief within the budget, though innovative ideas and what has been achieved for the pupils has been truly life changing for them. The school functions extremely well now, both environmentally, and as a hub for learning for the community. We get very frequent comments from parents and visitors alike about our superb facilities for learning.Abi Misselbrook-Lovejoy, Executive Headteache